Monday, April 27, 2009

Soldiers in the Congo

Today I attended a presentation given by a former child solider from the Congo and a man that works with her to spread awareness of the topic. Of course, I’ve heard of other countries and their uses of child armies, but I had never heard of girls being forced to serve in the army.

The speakers’ stories, and the two short films that were played, were both fascinating and heartbreaking. The girl who spoke today was kidnapped at the age of eleven and forced to serve in the army. But there are other young girls who decide, on their own, to go. This was shocking to me – why would any young girl feel that she needs or even wants to join an army?

I plan on doing some research in the new future and finding out how I can become involved in putting an end to this nightmarish situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment