Thursday, July 23, 2009

The key to deep thinking is lack of sleep

I'm still in Nor Cal and don't want to leave (my flight is booked for Sunday)!

Today I woke up at 5 am and, no, I have not gone back to sleep. For me, this is nothing short of miraculous - I love to sleep late. But there's something enticing about the early morning when the sun is still making its way into the sky. Everything is so peaceful because the neighborhood is still sound asleep but I know everyone will be waking up soon to partake in whatever life has to throw at them for the day.



(what the world looks like at 5:00 am)

So during my extra time today, I have been reflecting on life and all the challenges I have been facing over the past 2 months or so. I think I have gotten lost in all the confusion and excitement that this summer holds; and in doing so, I have forgotten the importance of living in the present and seeking happiness in every moment.

This isn't to say that I am unhappy. I have been incredibly happy of late. But that happiness, I fear, may be fleeting. I have spent the last hour looking at articles by happiness gurus (such as Thich Naht Hahn, the Dalai Lama, and Eckhart Tolle). After reading, and much meditation, I have come to realize that I am planing to make my future a happy one and focusing less on the present. I also see now that I am looking for my own personal nirvana, rather than accepting I already have all the happiness I need in this moment - I just need to tap into it.

I have some changes to make in my mental state over the next couple of days. But for now, I think I may have to nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment